CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, 23 June 2012

Book Character Day

To encourage reading in our school we decided to hold a Book Character Day.  Although student participation was lacking a bit, the staff more than made up for it.  I decided to go as Ms. Frizzle, since I watched Magic School Bus and love the books it seemed like the perfect fit.  I was lucky to find a dress perfect for the costume at Value Village and everything else just fell into place from there- the perfect red curly wig and matching green shoes.
To finish the look I drew on different stages of the butterfly life cycle, a belt, white collar and cuffs and then some extra butterflies on my shoes, in my hair and on my ears.  To top everything off I had my own Liz which was velcroed to by shoulder... he didn't stay on long so I had to carry him around the rest of the day.
Drawing the butterflies took significantly longer than I thought it would, and the dress was much larger than I thought... but it all worked out in the end. 
The dress had all the stages of the butterfly.  The eggs on a leaf, caterpillar, pupation, forming the chrysalis, chrysalis, emerging and of course the butterfly itself.  I wanted to draw more on the top of the dress but time didn't warrant it, maybe I will finish it for the next time I decide to wear the costume. 





Value Village Shoes with Michaels Arts and Craft Store Butterflies
One of the MANY butterflies on the dress
Butterfly Wing Nails
Amazing Red Curly Wig with some Dollarama Butterflies

School Staff
Charity as Japanese Folk Tale Character, Sylvia as Burglar Bill, Me as Ms. Frizzle, Ashley as the Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, Denise as Paper Bag Princess and Lindsay as Katniss Everdeen

1 comment:

  1. Just curious if you knew where you got the wig thanks!

    ReplyDelete